[R] Dismal R performance of Athlon moble CPU?

Jason Liao jg_liao at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 22:44:11 CEST 2003

I have been using a laptop computer of Pentium III 1.13 Ghz. I heard
that AMD's Athlon has excellent floating point capacity. So I bought a
Athlon 2200+ laptop yesterday. I expected that new Athlon 2200+ will be
twice as fast as the P III 1.13 GB. I ran a R simulation program and
the new computer is only 30% faster, in fact slightly slower than a
Celeron 1.50 GB laptop. I am very disappointed by this. What is your
experience with Athlon? Should I stick to Intel in the future? Thanks.

By the way, the OS is Windows XP home edtion.

Jason

=====
Jason G. Liao, Ph.D.
Division of Biometrics
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
335 George Street, Suite 2200
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2688
phone (732) 235-8611, fax (732) 235-9777
http://www.geocities.com/jg_liao