[R] Dismal R performance of Athlon moble CPU?

Jason Liao jg_liao at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 23:23:15 CEST 2003

Thanks for Prof. Ripley and Andy for your technical explantion. It
seems that that the real CPU speed has not advanced as fast as these
Ghz or other performance indicator suggest.

Yes, my program is totally CPU intensive.

"> We do have a dual P4 Xeon 2.4 GHz with 8GB RAM, and jobs run more
> than twice
> as fast as my PIII 933MHz laptop."

R can not really use dual CPU for one R session if I understand
correctly

Jason

--- "Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com> wrote:
> Overall performance depends on a few other things besides CPU clock
> speed
> (e.g., RAM speed and size, cache size, disk speed, etc.)  Unless your
> code
> is spending great majority of the time in the CPU, you should not
> expect
> speed-up to be equal to ratio of clock speeds.  (Also, as Prof.
> Ripley
> pointed out, a P4 does less than a PIII at the same clock speed, and
> the
> number AMD attach to Athlon is not clock speed.)
>
> We do have a dual P4 Xeon 2.4 GHz with 8GB RAM, and jobs run more
> than twice
> as fast as my PIII 933MHz laptop.
>
> Andy

=====
Jason G. Liao, Ph.D.
Division of Biometrics
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
335 George Street, Suite 2200
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2688
phone (732) 235-8611, fax (732) 235-9777
http://www.geocities.com/jg_liao