[R] inverse prediction and Poisson regression

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jul 25 14:43:35 CEST 2003

	  The Poisson assumption means that Y is a number of independent events
from a theoretically infinite population occurring in a specific time or
place.  The function "glm" with 'family="poisson"' with the default link
= "log" assumes that the logarithm of the mean of Y is a linear model in
the explanatory variable.

	  How is Y measured?  Is it the number out of 500 who exceed a certain
threshold, or is it the average percentage increase in weight of the 500
or what?  If it the number out N, with N approximately 500 (and you know
N), then you have a logistic regression situation.  In that case,
section 7.2 in Venables and Ripley (2002) should do what you want.  If Y
is a percentage increase

	  When dose = 0, log(dose) = (-Inf).  Since 0 is a legitimate dose,
log(dose) is not acceptable in a model like this.  You need a model like
Peter suggested.  Depending on you purpose, log(dose+0.015) might be
sufficiently close to a model like what Peter suggested to answer your
question.  If not, perhaps this solution will help you find a better
solution.

	  I previously was able to get dose.p to work in R, and I just now was
able to compute from its output.  The following worked in both S-Plus
6.1 and R 1.7.1:

 > LD50P100p <- print(LD50P100)
              Dose         SE
p = 14: -2.451018 0.04858572
 > exp(LD50P100p[1,1]+c(-2,0,2)*LD50P100p[1,2])-0.015
[1] 0.06322317 0.07120579 0.08000303

hope this helps.  spencer graves

Vincent Philion wrote:
> Hello sir, answers follow...
>
> ... Where X is dose and Y is response. the relation is linear for log(response)
>  = b log(dose) + intercept
>
>  *** Is that log(*mean* response), that is a log link and exponential decay with
>  dose?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "mean", (no pun intended!)
but Y is a biologicial "growth". Only one "observation" for each X. But
this observation is from the growth contribution of about 500 individuals,
so I guess it is a "mean" response by design.