[R] hi [should be 'getting started']

Richard Rowe Richard.Rowe at jcu.edu.au
Mon Jul 28 09:01:01 CEST 2003

At 16:08 28/07/03 +1000, you wrote:
>Guess what
>I have no clue what i am doing/ meant to do with R. i have just begun
>statistics for uni and all commands don't seem to work, they say syntax
>error, we are meant to put a hist.r in but ? please help, step by step, to
>use this program i would turn it on (it comes up rgui) is this wrong, have
>i put the wrong bit on it?
>Please help, I am so glad there is an R help
>Thankyou
>jill jijipowers at netscape.net

Go to the R project home site
http://www.r-project.org/

In the left hand column find the nearest CRAN mirror and go there (in your
case probably http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/CRAN/ )

In the left hand column find Documentation:  Manual

now download and read the file 'An introduction to R'
(This should also be in your distributed copy ... but)

then again under 'Documentation' go to 'Contributed'

Download and read the various documentations.  I suggest you start with
John Maindonald's 'course'

That should be a couple of evening's reading and put you well on your way.

You may get a blasting for your rather uninformative subject line ... and a
little lurking or a visit to the archives would have got you moving.  This
is actually a very friendly and supportive list, but the most valuable
sources of information are very busy and sometimes somewhat brusque.

This is information your lecturer/class coordinator should have provided
you with ...

Richard Rowe
Senior Lecturer
Department of Zoology and Tropical Ecology, James Cook University
Townsville, Queensland 4811, Australia
fax (61)7 47 25 1570
phone (61)7 47 81 4851
e-mail: Richard.Rowe at jcu.edu.au