[R] Tktable White column when WIDTH>13

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jul 30 14:38:56 CEST 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 TSudler at ch.imshealth.com wrote:
<SNIP>
table1 <- tkwidget(tt,"table",variable="tclArray",
rows=as.character(dim(datifram)[1]+1),
cols=as.character(dim(datifram)[2]),titlerows="1",
titlecols="3",selectmode="extended",height="27",
width="13",bg="white",state="disabled",cursor="arrow",
drawmode="single",selectmode="single",invertselected=TRUE,
xscrollcommand=function(...)tkset(xscr,...),
yscrollcommand=function(...) tkset(yscr,...))
<SNIP>

> When I go to the right border with the scrollbar, I see a
> wihte column without cells and without titlerow. I could
> determine where the problem is.
> But I don't know why this problem is. When I set the "WIDTH"
> in tkwidget() lower than 13, this white column doesn't appear.
> If the WIDTH is equal to 13 or higher, than the white column
> appears. Can you help me how to eliminate
> this white column when I want to have more than 12 columns in
> the window?

Thomas,

I think the Tktable geometry manager is having trouble because
you have asked it to display 13 columns on the screen and the
default column width is 10 characters in the default font.
Can you fit 130 characters across your screen easily?

Perhaps you could specify colwidth="5" or something smaller than
10 when you create the table, then later on, you could widen
some columns with :

tkcmd(.Tk.ID(table1),"width","0","10")
tkcmd(.Tk.ID(table1),"width","1","10")
(to widen the first 2 columns to 10 characters)

Or don't specify the width option (number of columns) in
tkwidget(tt,"table",width = ...
Just leave it to Tktable.

Regards,
James