[R] Virus Alert

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jun 3 09:40:35 CEST 2003

Kurt Sys <kurt.sys at UGent.be> writes:

> Hello,
>

> just to be sure: I already got a few messages like the one below,
> about virus Sobig.C. They seem to be send to
> r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch. I hope everybody on the list gets them, or
> something is very wrong with my system. I checked for virusses (using
> both f-prot and antivir), but couldn't find any. Moveover, as far as I
> know, a Linux system can't be infected by Sobig C.
>
> So, I wonder: is everyone on the list getting these messages? is it my
> system, or somebody else's? if it's mine, why is it not found (I have
> recent definition files)? if it's not, can I found out who's system is
> infected?

I think we've seen that one before and quite a few others over the
last few days.

It's really difficult to tell who the culprit is because all we're
seeing are autoreplies from someones system to an infected mail that
purported to be from r-help.

The original message headers might be able to tell us who is infected
(which may or may not be someone on the list, depending on where the
virus is grabbing its From: headers from).