[R] Rounding problem R vs Excel

Alexander Ploner Alexander.Ploner at mep.ki.se
Wed Jun 4 15:40:09 CEST 2003

> I don't have the reference, but a biologist friend of mine
> once showed me a refereed journal article that purported
> to demonstrate numerical errors made by MSExcel.  This
> would have been Excel97 or Excel2000... In any case, the
> journal's scope was biological in nature and the article
> was of interest since Excel is heavily used in that community.

@ARTICLE{McCull99,
   AUTHOR = {McCullough, B. and Wilson, B.},
   TITLE = {On the Accuracy of Statistical Procedures in Microsoft Excel
97},
   JOURNAL = "Comp. Stat. \& Data Anal.",
   VOLUME  = 31,
   NUMBER  = 1,
   YEAR    = 1999,
   PAGES   = {27-37}
}

I seem to remember that there was a follow-up article (note?) in CSDA
regarding the persistence of the problems in Excel 2000.

alex

Alexander.Ploner at mep.ki.se
Phone: 46-8-524-82329
Fax  : 46-8-314975