[R] Logistic regression problem: propensity score matching

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jun 5 17:27:25 CEST 2003

Dear Paul,

At 08:41 PM 6/4/2003 +0100, Paul wrote:
>Thanks for your reply.
>
>I am using logistic regression because my response variable is categorical
>- and this seems to be recommended in the literature (by Heckman, Smith
>and others).

I think that Prof. Ripley's point here is that although one can use multnom
in the nnet package to fit a binary (or binomial) logistic regression, it
is more common to do so using the glm (generlized linear model) function.
One normally would use multinomial logistic regression only for a
polytomous (several-category) response variable. Applied to a dichotomous
response, it will give the same results as a binary logistic regression.

>. . .
>
>I have MASS but was unable to locate logistic regression, which I was
>advised was the standard method for my problem.

In MASS (4th edition), logit models are discussed in chapter 7 on
generalized linear models (see, in particular, section 7.2). In my R and
S-PLUS Companion, to which you referred in your original message, these
models are discussed in chapter 5 on generalized linear models (see, in
particular, section 5.2.1).

I hope that this helps,
  John