[R] Re: [BioC] installing XML in linux

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at research.bell-labs.com
Mon Jun 9 17:14:44 CEST 2003

Robert Burrows wrote:
> On 9 Jun 2003, Douglas Bates wrote:
>
> > You will need to install the Debian package libxml-dev before you can
> > install the R XML package.
>
> and note that the package is really looking for 'libxml/parser.h'. On my
> machine, for example, parser.h is in /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/, so I
> have LIBXML_INCDIR=/usr/include/libxml2.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that one can set LIBXML_INCDIR and it
is definitely a good thing. In this particular case, however, I hope
that the configuration should work automatically without any additional
manual settings. The configure script should be using

 xml2-config --cflags

and that should return -I/usr/include/libxml2 and libxml/parser.h is
then duly found within that directory.

If this isn't the case, I'd be happy to find out and change things.
Unfortunately, conflicts between libxml and libxml2, use of libxml/
and gnome-xml/, etc... make this a complex configuration.