[R] estimating a density by selecting the bandwidth

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 10 19:57:00 CEST 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Rafael Bertola wrote:

> I´ve a data set and i want fit a kernel density estimate to the data.
> but using the k-nearest neighbour method.
> How i do this with R.

Well, you define the exact algorithm you want to use, and then you program
it, R being a fully-featured programming language.

Your description is exceedingly vague: if you are hoping for an already
implemented solution you might take a look at packge locfit (but that is
only a rough fit to your `description'.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk