[R] Does the RPM for RH9 know about TCL/Tk

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 11 03:48:05 CEST 2003

On 06/10/03 18:30, Morgan Hough wrote:
>Sorry for the probable repeat post but I can only search the list up to
>2002 (is there a better way?).

Yes, see my search page below.

>I am using the RH9 RPM from CRAN but
>packages like AnalyzeFMRI say that tcltk is not found. Do I need to do
>more to get Tk GUIs working on RH9 or does the RPM not have tcltk support
>built in (should I compile from source). Thanks in advance.

There was in fact some discussion of this last month.  I am not
sure of the answer.  But I installed 1.7.0 from the RPM for RH 9,
and I got the same error message when trying to get Rcmdr to
work.  I did have tcl and tk installed.  Unfortunately, I did not
do a properly controlled experiment.  I first installed tcllib,
which was not installed originally.  (That didn't help, by
itself.)  Then I re-installed R _from source_ and then everything
worked.  But I did have the basic vanilla installation of RH 9,
and I did have this problem.  So you aren't the only one.

I still don't know whether tcllib is necessary, and whether the
RPM itself installs different things depending on what is on the
system.  (I would assume not, but I'm not sure.)

R page:               http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/