[R] covariate data errors

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 13 06:54:28 CEST 2003

Dear Anthony,

The gls (generalized least squares) function in the nlme package should do
what you want. (I assume that your analysis leads you to expect an
error-covariance matrix of a specific form with some free parameters to
estimate.)

Generalized least squares estimation is a common topic in regression texts.
You'll find a brief appendix on the subject from my R and S-PLUS Companion
to Applied Regression, in the context of time-series regression, at
<http://www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/appendix-timeseries-regression.pdf>.

I hope that this helps,
  John

At 11:40 PM 6/12/2003 -0400, Andy Jacobson wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>         I would like to fit a multiple linear regression model in
>which the residuals are expected to follow a multivariate normal
>distribution, using weighted least squares.  I know that the data in
>question have biases that would result in correlated residuals, and I
>have a means for quantifying those biases as a covariance matrix. I
>cannot, unfortunately, correct the data for these biases.
>
>         It seems that this should be a straightforward task, but so
>much of the literature is concerned with the probability model in
>which the residuals are uncorrelated that I can't find a good
>reference.  So in order of importance, please, can someone point me to
>a definitive reference for least squares with correlated residuals,
>and is there a standard R package to handle this case?
>
>         Many thanks in advance,
>
>         Anthony

John Fox
Department of Sociology