[R] Layout of windows devices

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 14:38:14 CEST 2003

There is already support for this in the R-devel version: it like the
current approach assumes one screen, though.  From the CHANGES file

  The initial size and position of the MDI frame can be set in Rconsole:
  see the comments in .../etc/Rconsole.  The initial position of the
  console window and graphics windows can be set in Rconsole and in the
  GUI Preferences editor.

That version is a long way off release (ca October) but feedback and
patches are welcome.

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:05:30 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Is there a way to specify the location on the screen where a new
> >graphics device opens, for example with a call to win.graph()?
> >I'm using R 1.7.0 on Windows XP.
>
> There isn't currently, but it should be possible to add it.  The
> window creation is done in src/gnuwin32/devga.c.
>
> However, the user interface doesn't look easy.  Windows machines can
> have more than one monitor, so you'd want to be able to say which
> monitor it would appear on, as well as where.  I think you'd want to
> be able to query the monitor size to make the choice useful.

That is already done, to put the graphics window at the top right.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk