[R] R 1.7.0 startup error: .addMethodFrom...

Joel Kincaid jfkincaidsu at netscape.net
Fri Jun 13 14:44:54 CEST 2003

I've had a similar problem that seems to be assoociated with two events
(using 1.7.0 and win XP home sp1):
1. when using the update.packages() feature from the menu and having the
system hang. subsequent attempts to start Rgui fail. (However, rterm
will run -- )
2. or after any time Rgui is hung, there seems to be the *risk* that
there  will be a problem with some aspect of the methods package. I
posted a similar note last month but was unable to reproduce the problem
on a consistent basis....

See the 6/4/03 message and reply from Duncan Murdoch about Win XP and
crashes for a link to a developmental version  of R that (i'm assuming)
is a latter version of R patched that seems to have eliminated this
problem for me. (There was an earlier message that 1.7.1 was due to come
out mid june --

hth
Joel Kincaid

The solution seems to be to download the pathced version of 1.7.0 from
cran.