[R] problem installing packages from source on win2k

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Sat Jun 14 03:04:20 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 19:02, Simon Cawley wrote:
> Dear R-helpers,
>
> I'm having trouble compiling R packages from source on Win2K.  I
> installed R 1.7.1beta [1] on my win2k machine [2], downloaded the
> fields package as source [3] and tried but failed to install the
> package [4].  I get the same problem with other packages, so it
> doesn't appear to be limited to fields.  Installation of precompiled
> packages seems to work fine.  I've been doing this on linux for a long
> time and never ran into such an issue.
>
> I've trawled the FAQ and the archives but I'm not finding anything.
> Any clues where I'm going wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Simon
>
> ##############

...Lengthy notes SNIPPED

Simon,

Unless I am missing something here, I think that you are making this
more difficult than you need to.

Thanks I believe to Uwe Ligges, there appears to be a version of the
fields package already compiled for R 1.7.x on Windows at:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/fields_1.3-1.zip

Is there a reason that you cannot use this?

HTH,

Marc Schwartz