[R] problem installing packages from source on win2k

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 14 08:46:19 CEST 2003

The short answer is that you are not following readme.packages, which says

  If you want to make compiled html (.chm) files you will need the
  Microsoft HTML Help Workshop, currently available for download at
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwmicrosofthtmlhelpdownloads.asp
  and http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appa06.htm

  All of these need to be installed and in your path, and the
  appropriate environment variables set.

hhc.exe is part of HHW, and it is not in your path.

If you don't want to make .chm files, you can edit src/gnuwin32/MkRules
appropriately.

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Simon Cawley wrote:

> Dear R-helpers,
>
> I'm having trouble compiling R packages from source on Win2K.  I
> installed R 1.7.1beta [1] on my win2k machine [2], downloaded the fields
> package as source [3] and tried but failed to install the package [4].
> I get the same problem with other packages, so it doesn't appear to be
> limited to fields.  Installation of precompiled packages seems to work
> fine.  I've been doing this on linux for a long time and never ran into
> such an issue.

Maybe someone else set your Linux box up so all the tools were installed?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk