[R] Missing data augmentation

Jonck van der Kogel jonck at vanderkogel.net
Sat Jun 14 20:25:14 CEST 2003

Hi all,
A short while ago I asked a question about multiple imputation and I
got several helpful replies, thanks! I have untill now tried to use the
packages mice and norm but both give me errors however.

mice does not even run to start with and gives me the following error
right away:
iter imp variable
   1   1  Liquidity.ratioError in chol((v + t(v))/2) : the leading minor
of order 1 is not positive definite

To be honest I have no idea whatsoever what that error message means,
so my experiments with mice were shortlived :-)

I then tried the package "norm". I got some ways with the experiment,
following the help file:
s <- prelim.norm(as.matrix(myDataSet))
thetahat <- em.norm(s)
rngseed(1234567)
theta <- da.norm(s, thetahat, steps=20, showits=TRUE)

At this stage however I get the following error:
Steps of Data Augmentation:
1...2...Error: NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 2)

This seems strange to me, since the whole purpose of this routine is to
work with NA values. So why is it complaining about NA values?

After this I got it to work in an unlikely fashion: I first
standardized my dataset using scale(). After that I was able to run the
"theta <- da.norm(s, thetahat, steps=20, showits=TRUE)" line
succesfully. Which seems strange to me, since s still creates NA
values, so why is it not complaining about them this time. I have
repeated the process several times, with subsets of my original dataset
and the same problems arise each time.

Standardizing, calculating the missing values, imputing them and then
standardizing again does not seem the correct way to go to me however.
In my opionion the correct way of doing things would be to impute the
missing values and then standardize the dataset. In other words, the
way that seems correct to me is not working.

Any helpful comments on the problems described would be much
appreciated!
Thanks, Jonck