[R] building RPMs for R packages

Cooper Bethea cooper.bethea at duke.edu
Sun Jun 15 17:38:42 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 17:46, Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:

> Actually, the problem of making sure that N computers all have the
> same set of RPMs installed is not terribly scalable either...
>
> Centralized software maintenance is a pretty obvious thing to do, but
> I often suspect RedHat (and several others) of not really having
> grasped the idea of having computers connected in a net. Mixing the
> two maintenance models is probably not good, I tend to agree with you
> on that.

actually (maybe you already know about this and you're getting at
something else, though) we have developed yum for systems updates -
http://linux.duke.edu/yum/ - it's an auto-updater that pulls rpm headers
down from a server, determines which packages need to be updated, then
pulls those specific rpms down and installs them. it has some other
functionality as well - it can list packages matching a regex, install
specified packages and their dependencies, remove packages, etc. etc.
basically, we're trying to take all the stuff we like from apt-get. :)

> You might want to take a look at the scripts that Dethlef did for
> creating RPMs of contributed packages on SuSE.

thanks! can you tell me where i might find those? google dethlef
site:r-project.org doesn't turn them up.