[R] stop criterion for stepAIC

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 12:53:31 CEST 2003

You completely misunderstand: have you even *looked* at the help page?

     Performs stepwise model selection by exact AIC.

!  If you don't know what AIC is (and it seems so), please research it
(e.g. in MASS the book whose support software you are using without any
credit).

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Thomas Fischer wrote:

> I am using the function stepAIC (library MASS) to run a backward
> elimination on my linear regression. The new model stepAIC calculates
> contains coefficients that have a Pr(>|t|) value below 0.1, but I'd
> like to have only coefficients with 0.001 or below.

Nothing to do with AIC, and very dangerous since stepAIC works with terms,
not coefficients (and a term may have several coefficients).

> How can I change the stop criterion for stepAIC, so that it is more
> strict? There is a parameter "steps", but it is only a upper bound of
> steps.

The only thing you can do is increase `k', for a pseudo-AIC.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk