[R] Re: R 1.7.1 is released

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 18:32:05 CEST 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Dan E. Kelley wrote:

> Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
>
> >I've rolled up R-1.7.1.tgz a short while ago.
> >

> Thanks, Peter.  This is terrific!  I find that this R installation is
> only accessible to the root.  In case it helps other folks, I've
> attached a patch on the file
>     src/library/Makefile.in
> that solves the problem for me.

I think this is already covered by the advice in R-admin.texi:

If you want the build to be usable by a group of
users, set @code{umask} before unpacking so that the files will be
readable by the target group (e.g., @code{umask 022} to be usable by all
users).

To ensure that the installed tree is usable by the right group of users,
set @code{umask} appropriately (perhaps to @samp{022}) before unpacking
the sources and throughout the build process.

Did you do that?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk