[R] help.start

W. C. Thacker Carlisle.Thacker at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 17 14:59:08 CEST 2003

Dear R experts,

I would greatly appreciate your help with R's hypertext online
documentation, which I can pass on to our system manager.  We are
running version 1.7 on sparc-sun-solaris2.9 using netscape7 browser
for displaying the help.  The system is working, but there are a few
frustrating details that I hope might be fixed.

Here are three problems we are having:

1.  When the R session is terminated, the netscape7 session that was
initiated by help.start is still active.  However, it no longer
provides the R help.  Moreover, help.start in a new R session trys to
initiate a new netscape7 session, causing R-unrelated conflicts.  Is
there a way to get help.start to use the existing netscape7 session?

2.  When searching using the help system's search engine, there is no
problem following links forward.  But when returning to the list
produced by the search, links are no longer active, so the search has
to be repeated.  Is there any way to fix it so that links remain
active?

3.  When using browseEnv I get the same problem as described in item 1
above:  a new netscape7 session is started.  To avoid R-unrelated
problems, I have had to shut down the existing netscape7 session, so
that browseEnv, can start a new one.  Is there a way to get browseEnv
to use the existing netscape7 session?

Thanks,

Carlisle

platform sparc-sun-solaris2.9
arch     sparc
os       solaris2.9
system   sparc, solaris2.9
status
major    1
minor    7.0
year     2003
month    04
day      16
language R

--

William Carlisle Thacker

Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
4301 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, Florida 33149 USA
Office: (305) 361-4323           Fax: (305) 361-4392

"Too many have dispensed with generosity
     in order to practice charity."     Albert Camus