[R] kernel smoothing for ordinal data

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jun 17 16:56:42 CEST 2003

Meike Gebel <meike.gebel at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi there,
> during my work I have to use kernel smoothing methods for multivariate
> ordinal data.
> The R-package "KernSmooth" unfortunately includes only a version for
> continous scaled variables.
> Does anybody know whether there exists also a version for ordinal data?
> Thanks for help!

Er, do you have a reference for what such a beast should be doing?
Kernel smoothing methods generally rely quite heavily on having a
continuous distribution (for density estimates) or having a continuous
x distribution and something on the y axis that allows taking weighted
avereages (for nonparametric regression type problems).