[R] Clustering quality measure

Jonck van der Kogel jonck at vanderkogel.net
Tue Jun 17 17:23:33 CEST 2003

Hi all,
I am running a series of experiments where after manipulating my data I
run several clustering algorithms (agnes, diana and a clustering method
of my own) on the data. I wanted to determine which clustering method
did the best job, so therefore I had defined my own quality measure
using two criteria: compactness of the data within the clusters
themselves and the amount of seperation between the clusters. Anyway,
my quality measure does not work, since according to my quality measure
the quality gets increasingly better as more clusters are formed untill
every data instance is a cluster by itself.
Therefore I was wondering if any of you are aware of any libraries or
functions within R that determine quality measures of clusterings, I am
very much intrigued by the definition of quality measures that do work.
Thanks very much, Jonck