[R] Missing 'make' command to compile Windows DLL - was (no subject)

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Jun 18 04:44:24 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 21:19, Mark Piorecky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to R and am trying to create a dll in order to be able to use
> the "dyn.load" function with a fortran script.  I have a windows OS,
> have installed perl and the Path is recognized.  I have also installed
> R 1.70 including the src (source code) folder..  But when I attempt to
> create the dll by excecuting "Rcmd SHLIB [-o autologdll] combo.f", in
> the windows command prompt, I get the following error message "'make'
> is not recognized as an internal or external command"
>
> Does anyone have some suggestions on what I may have missed?
>
> Thanx a ton!
>
> Mark

Sounds like you did not download and install Prof. Ripley's Tools
package or if you did, the PATH environment variable is not set
properly.

If you did not download the Tools package, go here:

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/

and download the Unix tools ZIP file in the Essentials section and read
the remainder of the page, which provides further guidance.

If you did download and extract that package, be sure to edit the PATH
to reflect the location of those files.

BTW, don't forget to update to R 1.7.1, which is now released and
available on CRAN.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz