[R] downloading packages and AntiVirus program

RINNER Heinrich H.RINNER at tirol.gv.at
Wed Jun 18 09:59:38 CEST 2003

Dear R-users!

I am using R 1.7.0, under Windows XP;
I also have Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000, Norton AntiVirus 7.60.926.

Our firewall seems to want to "protect" me from downloading precompiled
packages for Windows.
When I try to download packages, like
http://cran.at.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/RODBC_1.0-3.zip
for example, I am not allowed to and get a message like this:

"The content you just requested had a problem and was blocked by the
Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine based on local administrator settings."

I called our network hotline, but they insisted that these files contain
viruses and wouldn't let me download them. As I'm sure that not all packages
on CRAN will contain viruses (!), I am asking here for support, maybe in the
form of arguments like "These files definitely contain no viruses, but they
may give false virus warnings because ...".

Regards,
Heinrich.