[R] What's wrong with ar for my data?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 08:52:16 CEST 2003

You are apparently fitting a series for which the selected order is zero,
and ar.burg is not designed to cope with that (and would in any case tell
you nothing useful).  The default method does cope, from your output.

Why are you fitting an AR model to a series with apparently no
correlation?

On 19 Jun 2003, zhu wang wrote:

> Dear helpers,
>
> When I use ar to fit the data with length 180, I have the following
> error:
>
> ar(x,method="burg")
> Error in acf(x, type = "covariance",lag.max=order,plot=FALSE):
>          lag.max must be at least 1
>
> If I use
>
> ar(x), then I have
>
> Call (x=x)

[I very much doubt that is what you get.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk