[R] Spedd: R vs S-plus

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 20 17:50:19 CEST 2003

On 20-Jun-03 Ted Harding wrote:
> Sorry to raise what has probably been discussed before,
> but I an repeatedly struck by the comparative slowness
> of S-plus for Windows compared with R for Linux when doing
> much the same thing.

Thanks to all who so promptly responded with comments and information,
and especially to Philippe Grosjean for giving the URL for that most
interesting set of benchmark comparisons.

I well take the point that comparative speeds will depend on what you
are doing -- indeed that is apparent from the benchmarks -- but there
is still evidence that overall one can expect distinctly greater speed
from R.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972