[R] logLik.lm()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 22:19:56 CEST 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Dear Prof. Ripley:
>
> 	  I gather you disagree with the observation in Burnham and Anderson
> (2002, ch. 2) that the "complexity penalty" in the Akaike Information
> Criterion is a bias correction, and with this correction, they can use
> "density = exp(-AIC/2)" to compute approximate posterior probabilities
> comparing even different distributions?

That's the derivation of BIC and similar, not AIC.

> 	  They use this even to compare discrete and continuous distributions,
> which makes no sense to me.  However, with a common dominating measure,
> it seems sensible to me.  They cite a growing literature on "Bayesian
> model averaging".  What I've seen of this claims that Bayesian model
> averaging produces better predictions than predictions based on any
> single model, even using these approximate posteriors ("Akaike weights")
> in place of full Bayesian posteriors.
>
> 	  I don't have much experience with this, but so far, I seem to have
> gotten great, informative answers to my clients' questions.  If there
> are serious deficiencies with this kind of procedure, I'd like to know.

Yes, model averaging is useful, but is nothing to do with AIC nor Burnham
& Anderson.  See e.g. my PRNN book for better ways to do it.

Burnham & Anderson (2002) is a book I would recommend people NOT to read
until they have read the primary literature.  I see no evidence that the
authors have actually read Akaike's papers.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk