[R] within group variance of the coeficients in LME

Harold Doran hdoran at nasdc.org
Thu Jun 26 00:58:08 CEST 2003

lme does not produce standard errors for the variance components like HLM does. It does produce SEs for the fixed effects, however, along with t-statistics and p-values, just like HLM. Use the summary() command to see these.

When you do this, you will get the AIC, BIC, and loglik values. Just below this output will be the variance components for the random effects. But, the level 2 variance components are reported as standard deviations and SEs do not accompany these random effects.

In lme,  the residual is the within-group error, which is the sigma-squared in HLM.

In terms of lme, the plot(intervals) can be used to assess variability rather than the chi-square in HLM.