[R] dendrograms

Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jun 26 08:53:08 CEST 2003

  > Hello all,
  >   I am using libraries (mva,cluster) to produce dendrograms.  With 1000
  > examples the dendrogram gets too crowded, and i am wondering whether there
  > is an option (which i cannot find) to set the number of leaf nodes, like
  > in matlab, and return the plot and the assignment map examples -> leaf
  > nodes.  Any suggestion is appreciated.  Thanks

Just wondering: did you try help(dendrogram) before sending an email
to r-help with subject "dendrogram"? The examples show you how to cut
a dendrogram at a specified height ...

If you want 10 leafs, you just have to get the height of the 9th
splitting (in element "height" of hclust objects).

help(cutree) might also be of interest ...

                        Friedrich Leisch
Institut für Statistik                     Tel: (+43 1) 58801 10715
Technische Universität Wien                Fax: (+43 1) 58801 10798
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch