[R] Correct contrast for unreplicated 2K factorial design

Peter Ho peter at fe.up.pt
Fri Jun 27 01:38:48 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I have been trying to reproduce an analysis from Douglas Montgomery´s
book on design and analysis of experiments. Table 6.10 of example 6.2 on
page 246, gives a table as follows:

 > NPK <- expand.grid(A=mp,B=mp,C=mp,D=mp)
 > Rate <- c(45,71,48,65,68,60,80,65,43,100,45,104,75,86,70,96)
 > filtration <- cbind(NPK,Rate)
 > filtration
   A B C D Rate
1  - - - -   45
2  + - - -   71
3  - + - -   48
4  + + - -   65
5  - - + -   68
6  + - + -   60
7  - + + -   80
8  + + + -   65
9  - - - +   43
10 + - - +  100
11 - + - +   45
12 + + - +  104
13 - - + +   75
14 + - + +   86
15 - + + +   70
16 + + + +   96

Two additional tables follow. Table 6-11 for contracts constants and
Table 6-12 for Factor effects estimates.
So far my attempts at fitting the model gives me very different effect
estimates. This I guess  is because I have not set the right contrasts?
Can anyone explain to me how I could set the correct contrasts in R to
estimate the effects in this unreplicated 2^4 factorial?

Thanks in advance,

Peter