[R] nls question

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jun 27 06:52:39 CEST 2003

	  An article in the American Statistician perhaps 5 years ago on the
accuracy of statistical software recommended using nlminb first to find
the least squares solution and then pass those numbers to nls to get
confidence intervals.  More recently, optim has replaced nlminb for such
purposes, as far as I know.  In addition, optim will optionally output
the Hessian from which approximate confidence intervals can be obtained.
  I have not used this recently, but I would expect that "profile" on
the nls fit would give better confidence intervals.

hth.  spencer graves