[R] Compiling R for OS X 10.2.6 (Darwin 6.6)

Hector L. Ayala-del-Rio ayalahec at msu.edu
Fri Jun 27 14:03:36 CEST 2003

I have been having similar problems trying to compile R 1.7.1 in OS X
10.2.6 with no success.  If you really want to use R just use the Fink
package installer and install the "r-base" package ( R 1.7.0).  You
might like to get in touch with the package maintainer (check package
info at the Fink website) before you spend more time trying to compile
it in your machine :-)

Hector

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 04:45  PM, feldesmanm at pdx.edu wrote:

> Our lab just picked up a G4 Powerbook (1 GHz, 1GB RAM, OS X 10.2.6).
> None of us have any experience with Macs but for various reasons we
> need to have one around for development.
>
> In any case, we've installed fink, all the Apple Developer Tools and
> the Dec2002updater to gcc 3.3.  We're now trying to compile R 1.7.1
> without too much success.  First we had to get g77, which turned out
> to be a headache because the version on fink doesn't match the gcc
> version on the Powerbook and wouldn't install.  We reset the PB gcc
> version to default to gcc 3.1, which then allowed us to install the
> g77 patch.
>
> In building R, the configure is fine (except for lacking pdf and dvi
> support to build the manuals - no big deal right now), but during the
> make, the program barfs, complaining that it can't find Rdynload.c,
> which sits precisely where it ought to be.  Again, since we have no
> experience with building software on the Mac, this one is tough to
> sort out.
>
> I read a few messages on R-devel about issues involving g77 support,
> but I don't know whether this is the problem or not.  The errors are
> being emitted when the make is using gcc, which might be 3.1 or 3.3.
> There doesn't seem to be any way to remove the "updater".
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers from experienced Mac folks out there.
> (BTW, I did find Jan de Leuew's binary of 1.7.1.  It installs fine in
> the meantime, but it would still be helpful to resolve the compilation
> problem as I expect we'll encounter other issues like this soon).
>
> Thanks.
>

> Dr. Marc R. Feldesman
> Professor and Chairman Emeritus
> Anthropology Department - Portland State University
> email:  feldesmanm at pdx.edu
> email:  feldesman at attglobal.net
> fax:    503-725-3905
>

> "Sometimes the lights are all shining on me, other times I can barely
> see,
> lately it's occurred to me, what a long strange trip it's been..."
> Jerry &
> the boys

Héctor L. Ayala-del-Río, Ph.D.
Center for Microbial Ecology &
Center for Genomic and Evolutionary Studies
on Microbial Life at Low Temperatures
Michigan State University
545 Plant & Soil Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1325