[R] Truncating y axis

Shravan Vasishth vasishth at coli.uni-sb.de
Sat Jun 28 14:03:27 CEST 2003

Hi folks,

I want to have a y-axis using matplot where the y axis is truncated as
shown schematically below:

(msecs)

3000 |   x
     ~
     ~
800  |        x

     ----|----|----|-----------------
         1    2    3
          Position

The ~ is supposed to stand for a curved line showing a break. The issue is
that I want to plot the points shown by the x's, but if I plot a
continuous y axis then the confidence intervals about the points at
positions 2 and 3 are not clearly visible...

Can someone suggest how this might be done? I did study the manuals and
contributed manuals first, and searched the archives and FAQs, just
couldn't find any discussion of such a situation.

Thanks much in advance,

--
Shravan Vasishth                               Phone: +49 (681) 302 4504
Computational Linguistics, Universität des Saarlandes, Postfach 15 11 50