[R] ./configure needs /sw/lib?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 08:55:40 CEST 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Tony Marlboro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I am using R on Mac OS X.  I have tried to install the package
> "netCDF", but have run into a problem.  The install.packages command
> fails during a call to the "configure" shell script in the package
> build directory, because it cannot find the netCDF libraries on my
> system.  Those libraries are installed in /sw/lib, as they were
> installed with fink, and this system puts everything in /sw.
>
> 	Either I need a way to give "configure" flags to
> install.packages(), or this package is broken.  Note that
> /sw/lib/R/etc/Makeconf has all the right build flags.  Is there a
> mechanism for handling problems of this nature?

Yes, to use R CMD INSTALL directly: use R CMD INSTALL --help to find out
how.  You need to supply --with-netCDF=/sw, I believe (but then the
headers may not be found).

It should be simpler to fix your OS: if you put /sw/include in your
INCLUDE path and /sw/lib in your LIBRARY path then configure in netCDF
should work `out of the box'.  I would consider this to be a problem with
your setup, not with R nor netCDF: why should netCDF know anything about
fink?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk