[R] Proper way to document print( ) functions

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 22:41:29 CET 2003

The simplest way is to define the method correctly, as print.myclass(x,
myarg, ...).  That message is about the code, not the documentation, but
you will get a different one if the code and documentation disagree.

All print methods must include `...', and there is a section in `Writing R
Extensions' on why.  In brief, I should be able to define class
`richerclass' inheriting from `myclass' and have a print method for
`richerclass' with different arguments that calls NextMethod("print").

BTW this applies equally to S-PLUS.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk