[R] Cluster analysis

Christian Hennig hennig at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 7 11:28:26 CET 2003

Hi,

it seems that you mix something up. hclust is for dissimilarity based
hierarchical cluster analysis, which has nothing to do with R squared,
Pseudo F....
Informative output about the clustering is given as value of the hclust
object, function cutree may help to extract a concrete clustering at some
level of the hierarchy.
Maybe you do not start with dissimilarity data and you might consider pam
(in library cluster), kmeans or the library mclust for Normal mixtures.
However, the statistics values you are looking for are not the primary
quantities of interest in clustering, regardless of the method.

Christian Hennig

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Pierre-Olivier Chasset wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to calculate a cluster analysis and I use the function 'hclust'.
> I have seen the GRAPHICAL results of this function with 'plot'.
> I would like to analyse this cluster but I don't know how to see the NUMERICAL results of each
> step of this cluster like:
> - R Squared
> - Pseudo F
> - Pseudo t**2
> Thank you for any help,
>
> Pierre-Olivier Chasset
>
> =====
> Pierre-Olivier Chasset
> 41, rue de la course
> F-67000 Strasbourg
> Phone: +33 3 88 32 06 42

Christian Hennig
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum (LEO), CH-8092 Zuerich (currently)
and Fachbereich Mathematik-SPST/ZMS, Universitaet Hamburg
hennig at stat.math.ethz.ch, http://stat.ethz.ch/~hennig/
hennig at math.uni-hamburg.de, http://www.math.uni-hamburg.de/home/hennig/