[R] type III Sum Sq in ANOVA table - Howto?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 7 13:41:06 CET 2003

Dear Felipe,

At the risk of rekindling this debate, I've placed a brief (3-page)
document at <http://www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/.Pickup/ANOVA-notes.pdf>
which explains the hypotheses tested by "Type-II" and "Type-III" tests,
their relationship to the parametrization of the model, issues of power,
etc., in the context of unbalanced two-way ANOVA. My own view is that the
disagreement is more a question of emphasis than anything else, and that
the points that I make in this document are widely understood.

I hope that this is of some use.
  John

At 11:29 AM 3/7/2003 +0100, Felipe wrote:
>Hi! I have found your comments very interesting, but I feel I am one of
>these people that do not understand what the hell they are really testing :D
>Could you (or anybody) suggest me a good web site to gather this kind of
>information? Sometimes I cannot fully understand the messages of the list
>because I lack some knowledge background.

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4M4