[R] FIX: pscales=list(...) and splom

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 9 02:15:24 CET 2003

On Saturday 08 March 2003 08:31 am, Jens Scheidtmann wrote:
> Dear R Users,
>
> When plotting with "splom" I tried to use the pscales=list(...) feature

Well, looks like you are the first person ever to actually use this feature
:-)

> Unfortunately it didn't work at all. Instead the scales always were
> suppressed.
>
> So I looked at the source of panel.pairs and found:
>
> "draw <- is.numeric(pscales) && pscales != 0"
>
> which rather has to be:
>
> "draw <- is.list(pscales) || (is.numeric(pscales) && pscales != 0)"

Thanks, fixed for future releases.

> With this change, the axis labels could be generated from the
> supplied ...$at and ...$lab components of the pscales entries.
> (BTW: the documentation says the components should be $at and $labels. This
> is wrong!)

Not really. If a list x has a component called labels (and no other starting
with lab), then x$lab will return the value of x$labels.

> But....
>
> * The limits of the axes are still generated from the data.

I don't think I'm going to change this behaviour, since the value of at does
not affect the range in other contexts. (You are of course free to define
your own superpanel function.)

> * The labels are still not as expected.
>
> To fix these, occurences of "as.character(axls ..." have to be replaced by
> "labels ..."

Also fixed.

Deepayan