[R] DLL error after update.packages

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 17:39:39 CET 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Renaud Lancelot wrote:

> ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Brett Magill wrote:
> >

> >>When updataing packages from CRAN, I got the following error message:
> >>
> >>updating HTML package descriptions
> >>Warning message:
> >>DLL attempted to change FPU control word from 8001f to 9001f
> >>
> >>Everything seems fine, the packages updated, just wondering what this was.
> >
> > R 1.6.2 on Windows 98.  Details on the packages dowloaded are below.
> >
> > Are you using --internet2?  In that case your Internet Explorer is buggy:
> > it's a known problem.
> >

> I just met the same problem with Win98 / R 1.6.2 / Mozilla 1.2.1., while
> updating package from the menu. It did not happen before, with exactly
> the same config.

Let's be clear: this is a warning, and R corrects the effect.  You can
rest assured that a problem was averted by R's actions.  We've only had
reports when --internet2 is in effect (the browser is irrelevant) but it
is entirely possible that this is caused by the winsock dlls.

There are details of this in the CHANGES file for 1.6.2: both the message
and the corrective action were new in 1.6.2.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk