[R] boxplots with multiple numerical variables

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Fri Mar 14 23:39:31 CET 2003

If I understand correctly, you basically want to generate a grouped
boxplot, where each of the numeric variables are in groups of three
(a, b and c) across the x-axis.

The final example in ?boxplot does this, though for groups of 2 and it
uses a formula method. You would just need to modify the code in the
example adding a third call to boxplot() with the 'add = TRUE'
argument set as in the second call.

Note the use of the 'at' argument, which enables you to pick
mid-points for the groups and then draw the boxplots at offsets from
the mid-points.  In the case of groups of three, you would use the
mid-points and then the mid-points minus and plus an offset.

You then also use the 'boxwex' argument, to adjust the width of the
boxplots to fit the groupings.

Finally, for the colors, you can use a different 'col' argument in
each call to boxplot, which would yield three colors, one for each of
the three boxplots in each grouping.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz