[R] Some more general questions

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at arbitrade.com
Wed Mar 19 21:11:29 CET 2003

The answer to your first question is yes, you can. Under the hood a call
"summary(data[[5]])" invovles an implicit call to print() of the value
returned by summary(). This print produces the output you see. So you need
to suppress the default print and call one of your own, e.g.

> x <- summary(data[[5]])   # no print since the returned value is assigned
> my.custom.print(x)

A caviat, R will try to print the value returned by my.custom.print. To
suppress it the return value should be made invisible, e.g. put
invisible(NULL) in the end of my.custom.print