[R] Some more general questions

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Wed Mar 19 21:23:27 CET 2003

For summary(), yes, you can alter the way things are displayed.
It's easiest to think of capturing the output from summary() in
a temporary variable, then displaying that variable's value, but
this could also all be done as inline code.  For example,

temp <- summary(data[[5]])
print(cbind(names(temp), format(as.numeric(temp))), quote=F)

Second question:  calling  hist()  with a vector of character
strings doesn't work, and arguably, it shouldn't.  There's no
intrinsic notion of "interval" for character strings, no sense
in which you want to discretize continuous data into a set of
contiguous, discrete "bins".  Character strings are discrete
already.  So use  barplot(table(data[[ ? ]])).  (Can't remember
which columns in your exampel would have string values.)  Or
temp <- table(data) and print the result however you want.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -