[R] Problem with read.table

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Fri Mar 21 20:55:55 CET 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of sabrina
servanty
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 1:22 PM
To: R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] Problem with read.table

Dear all,

I was used to work on R1.6 and I have now passed on R1.6.2 but I can't
read my
file (and that is a big problem!!).
I made a data sheet with some
spreadsheet in Excell, and save it as separeted by tab .txt.
I write in R
read.table ("file.txt",h=T,sep="/t",dec=",")
But R consider that I have only one column (eG one variable)!!!

I have tried a lot of thing (I don't wrote the spreadsheet,I have
verified in word
that my column was really separated by tabulation....) but I really
don't find.
It may be really simple but I'm not really good to speak with R!

Regards

Sabrina Servanty.

Sabrina,

Try reversing the "/" in your 'sep = "/t"' argument.  You have it
reveresed at the moment, assuming that is is copied here as you are
using it.

The tab character is:  "\t"

So the command should be:

read.table ("file.txt",h=T,sep="\t",dec=",")

HTH,

Marc Schwartz