[R] memory usage on Windows (was no subject)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 23 07:00:22 CET 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, kjetil brinchmann halvorsen wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2003 at 8:57, Michael D. Ward wrote:
>
> Please use a subject line!

Yes, please do follow your own advice!

> I have a machine with 1.5Gb of physical memory, and have for a long
> time used --max-mem-size 2G,
> without any problems. Just yesterday that wasn't enough, so I tried
> to increase to --max-mem-size 4G, which was rejected by R.
> I lowered to 3G, and the program seemt to be running fine, but
> eventually I had to kill the process (hanging).
>
> This is windows XP professional. So, at least on XP, there is
> certainly not a hard coded limit of 1G. But why the limit somewhere
> between 3 and 4G?
>
> Have others had problems with R processes eventually hanging on XP,
> if using more than 2G og memory?

XP is said to have a 2Gb limit for the user memory address space.  So does
Windows 2000 Professional, but Server is said to have 3Gb.  That's for all
processes, not per process.  So I would expect a 2Gb or 3Gb limit, from
the OS, not R.

As the documentation says (in the CHANGES file), up to 1700Mb has been
used successfully on 2000/XP.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk