[R] Install on Solaris 5.9

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 12:59:15 CET 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Campbell wrote:

> I'm trying to install R-1.6.2 on a Sparc machine running Solaris 5.9.  I download and unpack R, run ./Configure from the R directory.  Configure fails.The last line on the Configure script prints is 'Checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme',  This output and the config.log files are available at:
> 	http://www.phineas.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/config.log
> and
> 	http://www.phineas.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/configout
>
> If you prefer I could post these 2 files directly to the mailing list.
>
> I currently have autoconf 2.57, automake 1.7.2, gcc 3.2.2, make 3.80
and readline 4.3 installed.

gcc 3.2.2 has a fatal bug for compiling R on Solaris, so the first thing
you need is a less buggy C compiler.  Preferably the Sun C/F9x compilers,
but failing that gcc 3.2 will do.

You don't appear to have a working Fortran compiler installed, as
config.log says at the end (before the symbols)

configure:15266: error: cannot compile a simple Fortran program
See `config.log' for more details.

It's found something called fc, which does not work.  If you have really
installed gcc 3.2.2, the build went wrong and g77 did not get installed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk