[R] Logical Indexing of vectors -- Odd Behavior or....

Joel Kincaid jfkincaid at salisbury.edu
Thu Mar 27 22:17:35 CET 2003

R-Community,

I'm puzzled by the following behavior in R 1.6.2 and have found no
reference to this in the archives:

>P <- seq(.1,.9,by=.1)

>P[P > .4]
[1] 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9
as expected. However,
>P[P > .3]
[1] 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9
    ???
Which is unexpected. Furthermore on the logical side
> P>.1
[1] FALSE TRUE TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> P>.2
[1] FALSE FALSE TRUE TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> P>.3
[1] FALSE FALSE TRUE TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> P>.4
[1] FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE TRUE TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> P>.5
[1] FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE TRUE TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
> P>.6
[1] FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE TRUE TRUE TRUE
> P>.7
[1] FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE TRUE TRUE  TRUE

What's with .3 and .7? Any pointers to where I might find out the info
would be greatly appreciated,

I'm running 1.6.2 on windows XP,
Sincerely,

Joel F. Kincaid, Ph. D.