[R] Scripting with an external editor

Prof. Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 31 19:52:11 CEST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 TyagiAnupam at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/31/03 6:32:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> bitwrit at ozemail.com.au writes:
>
> > AT wrote:
> > >If you are not trying to write R editing functionality for an editor
> > >other than (X)Emacs or WinEdt, what you describe below is already
> > >available in these editors using ESS with (X)Emacs and R macros for
> > >WinEdt.
> >
> > Well, in fact, I am trying to use the functionality already present in
> > NEdit, which is in my opinion a pretty good editor. Thanks for the tip
> > about WinEdit - I will follow it up
>
> It is WinEdt NOT WinEdit (that is another editor).
>
> Another tip---R macro installation for WinEdt asks you to use its
> initialization file that makes R components possible. I had trouble
> configuring it with earlier my configuration of WinEdt, so I created another
> instance (desktop Icon) of WinEdt that uses R initialization file, while
> keeping the old configuration for other work.
>
> > >John Fox's enhancements for using ESS with Xemacs at page below. You
> > >can also use ESS alone, without these enhanced menus, etc.
> >
> > Couldn't find much about how ESS actually does the trick. Either this is a
> > very difficult thing to do or it is quite easy but very difficult to find
> > out about. I lean toward the latter at the moment

I think the `trick' is how text for parsing is sent to R, and the answer
is via the command line, using C redirection (and ptys under Unix).
I've already suggested that approach a week ago.

This thread is getting very bitty, and I am still waiting for a clear
statement of what it is that Jim is trying to achieve.  It sounds as if
using redirection (and the -ess flag under Windows) is what is required.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk