[R] List of lists? Data frames? (Or other data structures?)

Roger Peng rpeng at stat.ucla.edu
Thu May 1 03:25:32 CEST 2003

If you're talking about rows and columns, it seems like the appropriate
data structure for you is the data frame.  I think your list of lists
representation might get unwieldy after a while.  I can't really think of
why a data frame would be any slower than a list of lists -- I've never
experienced such behavior.

read.table() may be a little slower than scan() because read.table() reads
in an entire file and then converts each of the columns into an
appropriate data class.  So there is some post-processing going on.  It
doesn't have anything to do with data frames vs. lists.

-roger
UCLA Department of Statistics
http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~rpeng