[R] Error in library(MASS) : package/namespace load failed

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 5 17:52:05 CEST 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Tord Snall wrote:

> I have installed 1.7.0 on my Win XP and want to use MASS. But I get this
> error message:
>
> > library(MASS)
> Error in namespaceExport(ns, exports) : undefined exports: abbey,
> accdeaths, Aids2, Animals, anorexia, austres, bacteria, beav1, beav2,
> biopsy, birthwt, ...
> Error in library(MASS) : package/namespace load failed
>
> I therefore again downloaded VR.zip. When I extracted the files I always
              ^^^^^
Had you done that before?  You didn't say so, but that would explain the
symptoms.

> answered yes to the question of "Would you like to replace the existing file?"

*No* VR.zip is available for use with R 1.7.0: did you read the ReadMe in
wherever you downloaded it from: it probably said `for rw1060/1/2 only'?

> I also "Skip File" MASS.dll because password is needed....?
>
> I've never had this probelm with previous R versions and there is no
> problem with other libraries. What have I done wrong?

Most recently, installed a version of R 1.6.x on top of one for 1.7.0.
I suspect you've never done that before.

All I can suggest is that uninstall rw1070, remove all traces of the
damage you have done, and try re-installing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk